Recently I shared with you a piece of my heritage and royal ancestry. In writing this, I was reminded I once wrote a paper in college about my family history. More specifically, how my parents journeyed to the States. I’d like to share my parent’s story with you, starting with my mom. (roughly translated from Vietnamese) […]
Last year, I visited family in Hue, Vietnam to discover my roots. For the longest time, I asked my dad why my last name was different from his. Mine is Bao, his is Vinh. He said it was because, “we come from a royal dynasty where the last name changes from generation to generation.” I […]
Oh the things Vietnamese carry around on two wheels. It’s a hoot! It never seizes to amaze me what Vietnamese can load on two wheels, other than themselves and a passenger or two (or three or four!). This week, my family flew back to Vietnam in time to celebrate Tet (Vietnamese New Year) and I’m […]
From pho, to bun to mi. It is all about the noodles. Vietnam is blessed with amazing food. I’m not being bias when I say that either, am I? From rice plates to spring rolls, savory crepes to delectable snails, not to mention the various types of noodle bowls, we Vietnamese know how to eat […]
2011: Thankful Gerard got to meet his Grandma in this lifetime. RIP. We love the food, we adore our culture, but ultimately, this trip is significant because it’s G’s first time here. Ever. You could say it’s an important one, a pilgrimage so to speak. G’s never met his Ba Ngoai (Grandma on his mom’s […]
GQ is currently...
- A Proposal in Prague. Yes, WE’RE ENGAGED! November 15, 2012
- VIDEO: Our Year in Travel January 31, 2013
- What We Hate About Australasia January 28, 2013
- Travel Photo Roulette #50 Theme – Play November 12, 2012
- My Parents’ Story – Boat Ride to Freedom November 25, 2013
- Visiting the royal tombs in Hue – turns out I’m royalty! November 13, 2013
- The World’s Dollar Menu October 29, 2013
- Exploring the ruins of Angkor, in photos October 22, 2013
- craig zabransky: Wow, now I know who to call when I finally visit V...
- craig zabransky: wow, powerful story... great courage. I am thankfu...
- Travel Blog Love: November, 2013 | Besudesu Abroad Travel Blog: […] Gerard translates his mother’s ins...
- lola: amazing story. i can completely understand why you...