Want the most eclectic, forbidden food trippin’ experience — head to Amsterdam!
I am proud to say, I have never experimented with drugs, ever! I’ve never even smoked a cigarette let alone a joint.
That is until now.
Let me start by saying, we did not come for the weed! Though I wouldn’t say the thought did not cross our minds during our time here. But after the whole crazy run in with the hooker incident, we needed a little pick me upper.
We ducked into a Coffeeshop, not to be confused with a ‘Koffiehuis’ which sells coffee or a ‘Cafe’, another term for restaurant or bar.
To be blunt (pun intended) a Coffeeshop is a place that sell weed products. A licensed seller will have a green and white sticker in the window to indicate the establishment is a coffeeshop.
I’m willing to bet I will never see a menu quite like this one ever again. Weed hot chocolate, hash ice tea and something called the “Fisherman’s Friend” that comes with a fitting warning label, “This is very strong sh*t!” You can imagine the possibilities.
Since neither of us are smokers, we passed on the blunt and went for something we felt somewhat safe — space cakes. Looks innocent enough.
Before you start spacin’ out, here are some things you should know:
- When is it going to hit? Space cakes takes a longer time to hit you, unlike smoking weed. Overdose is possible so be careful on amount of intake. On an empty stomach, about 30 minutes before you feel the high.
- How much is too much? Read the label if it comes with one. If not, ask questions. People who sell the space products know the strength of the products. Take their advise, only have one space item at a time and be patient.
- Can I drink while spacing? Yes, but probably not the smartest idea if it’s your first time. Try picturing that combination in your head — high while intoxicated. Sloppy but potentially fun. Just know your tolerance.
Here’s what our fellow bloggers have to say about the time they trip’d out in Amsterdam:
- Christine from C’est Christine guest posted on Adventurous Kate about That Time Christine Ate A Spacecake in Amsterdam where Christine took a few hits, ate a space cake, biked through town, drank some beer and joined a free tour, before she passed out, fell and hit her head.
- Jane from Runaway Jane wrote Too Many Space Cakes and My Unexpected Trip to Holland. Read about Jane’s experience after not 1, the normal dose of consumption for first timers, but 2 space cakes! Top that off with a little booze. Probably a good guide for How- NOT to space out in Amsterdam.
- Steph from Twenty- Something Travel experienced her Oh Sh*t! moment second hand in Learning to Deal with Disaster when a friend’s overindulgences in local “specialties” caused for one crazy night in Amsterdam.
So how was our first space cake experience, you ask? Unfortunately, I couldn’t tell. I didn’t feel any different. I’m not sure how I was suppose to feel. Maybe I was “spacy”. Or maybe I was too paranoid and should have taken that 3rd or 4th bite. I never did finish my cake.
Wish I could say the same for you know who. G felt “relaxed” and wandered the city the rest of the day with a funny grin on his face. Interesting..
We want to know.. what have YOU tried on the hash menu in Amsterdam or anywhere else in the world? Share your experience in the comments!